Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar

I've recently started incorporating Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar into my diet more. The stuff is amazing, and the more I read about the health benefits of organic apple cider vinegar (ACV, as I call it) the more impressed I am. I pick up ACV at HEB generally, as I haven't seen it elsewhere (other than a few health food stores).


The ACV sold by Bragg is unfiltered, unpasteurized, and includes "the mother", the somewhat icky-looking stuff that occurs naturally, as "strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules" (per the Bragg site.) I've been using the ACV in homemade salad dressings (with a good extra virgin olive oil), as well as in chili, and I've even been drinking it straight (sometimes diluted, sometimes not.) If I've got an upset, acidy stomach, if I take some of this ACV, slightly watered, it generally eases the problem perfectly. I've also (and my wife thinks this is revolting) taken my daily vitamins and fish oils washed down with a nasty cocktail of watered-down ACV and psyllium husk fiber. She thinks I'm crazy, but I'm all about the detox (this is NOT recommended for everyone and may cause complete and total nausea, but it works for me... :)

The health benefits of a natural Apple Cider Vinegar are impressive from what I've read so far, and the subject is worth investigating more. I recently read though a book called Wild Fermentation that gives steps (among other recipes) for making your own apple cider vinegar, which I'd like to experiment with sometime.

0 comments: