Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mercury in tuna and my letter to the FDA

Here's a quick note to the FDA that I sent today.  I'm not really expecting a reply, since its more of a rhetorical question, I think.  Also, here's an interesting article from Fox about someone suing a tuna company over mercury...


Hi,

I'm wondering, why hasn't the FDA done anything about the fact that all canned tuna fish seems to contain levels of mercury that, if enough tuna is consumed, the consumer is likely to contract mercury poisoning?  No warnings or regulations or anything.  I've noticed that its just sort of an understood fact that, if you eat tuna, you expect to get some sort of mercury in your body from the tuna - so why hasn't this set off any alarms with the FDA?  Mercury is ALWAYS bad in the human body, be it from tuna fish, dental fillings or from thimerasol in vaccines, so why aren't there any warnings from the FDA (either for the fish, or the fillings, or vaccines?)

It seems like the potential is there for people to get very sick from mercury, and the FDA should do more to warn people about this dangerous toxin in food, drugs, and dental fillings.

0 comments: