Friday, May 7, 2010

Oil spill may endanger human health, officials say

I've been following the stories about the oil spill in the gulf, being of interest to me as I live in a gulf state not too far off from where this is happening. This has been devastating news to read about, and my prayers are that they can get this taken care of quickly. It's troubling reading articles like this one about the potential health effects ranging from "temporary, minor nuisances such as runny noses and headaches to long-term risks such as cancer if contaminated seafood ends up in the marketplace." I'm not a big fan of shellfish in the first place, but I do occasionally enjoy seafood from the gulf. Not anymore, I guess...

I once read that "science is violence against nature", and that phrase comes to mind with a disaster like this. I wonder how much scientific research into fossil fuels and their utilization sees its ultimate fulfillment in environmental disaster like this one?

0 comments: