Monday, November 16, 2009

Phthalates - Plastic in the Body

I've just started reading about phthalates, a type of plastic chemical found in a number of products, and some of the detrimental health effects from this stuff. It's one of those things like hydrogenated oils that, once you start reading about it and some of the bad things reported about it, it can just be overwhelming (particularly some of the studies reporting reproductive problems associated with phthalates.)

In terms of plastic, I know that I've had drinks from plastic containers and picked up that "plasticy" taste to the water, so the idea of plastics in material being ingested isn't an alien idea (it;s part of why I try to avoid using plastic bottles and utensils when I can, but it can be hard to avoid sometimes.) This is one of those things that makes me think I'm long overdue for another fast.

0 comments: